Miyerkules, Setyembre 12, 2012

the seaman's wife ( ang pigado na pangabuhi sang asa-wa sang seaman)


Hindi ko napanood ang pelikula na may ganong title kaya di ko alam kung ano ang itinakbo ng kuwento.  I’ll be writing on my personal experience.

I exactly don’t know why I have been tagged as the seaman’s wife.  Laging sasabihin, “Ah si ano, ‘yong asawa ng seaman.  Would I take it as a compliment or a criticism?  I never realize not until now that I am almost losing my identity.  I became his shadow.  It didn’t matter to me because I love the role of being a wife.  But he was the one who would convince me that I can shine on my own.  That I am very much my own person even without him. At first I was afraid of the idea because I have to admit I have been so comfortable and secure with the thought that he is my husband.  And that would be enough.

But then, he made me understand that I am not just here to support him but to help him as we build our dreams.  I took the risk when we tried our luck in a business.  He wouldn’t be here to support me on the day to day basis but he trusted enough my capabilities that I can handle it on my own.  Sure, I couldn’t say that it is thriving now.  I am still on the process of keeping it up.  But slowly, I am not anymore just the seaman’s wife.  I am now the “owner “of that little shop.  I am still bad at handling finances, journalism didn’t teach me that, but little by little I am learning.  To be financially independent is on my wish list now.

Minsan may connotation ang tao for both the seaman and the wife na “uhaw”.  Really such an offending remark at times, but I learn to shrug it off.  Only people who understand the pain of long distance relationships could comprehend the situation.  Well, sigurado ako na hindi siya kabilang doon kasi even if he’s far, he’s so much loved.  And his fidelity has always been above his sexual desires.  I rather take it really as a running joke.  His being at sea is a profession that calls for sacrifices just like any other line of work.  And when you marry one, you marry the fact that you won’t be enjoying the everyday routine of a married life.

It did came easy for us since, we tied the knot after six years of being on, enough time to adjust.  At siguro din hindi pa gaanong kahirap para sa akin kasi wala pa kaming anak.  I really admire the mom who could put up their children in the absence of the seaman father.  I am optimistic that I can make it, he already armed me with courage to do that.  I just wish he will got to enjoy too the many first on our future children’s lives.

Some forums often mention too the difficulty of handling the in-laws.  I have seen my officemates and friends with the same dilemma.  But then again, these problems arise not only in seaman’s family but among others.  Sa make believe world lang ang walang problema.  It was not a bliss start too for us, but anything could be dealt with grace.  Just always remember that you don’t compete with your in-laws, you are an addition to the family.  And families should be filled with nothing but love.

I am not really against the idea of being just the seaman’s wife.  Pero sana tuwing mababanggit ‘yon, hindi nila iniisip na madali lang sa amin ang pera, na tipong mag-aantay lang kami ng allotment at magshopping ng magshopping.  O kaya’y tipong magpapaganda na lang para sa pag-uwi ng asawa.
Hindi rin kami “uhaw” na maghahanap ng atensiyon ng iba.

We are women who can stand on our own, who brave storms in the absence of our husbands.

And I hope, they will also set their high regard for the seamen husbands and fathers because it was never easy for them working away.  They too endured the loneliness and dangers that comes with their work.  They are often less appreciated even by their own families.  For some they thought it is an enjoyable work being able to see the world for free.  They overlooked the fact that at sea danger abounds and there is the long and tiring hours on duty.  You cannot call in sick if you don’t want to report to the job.  You can’t say “Thanks God it’s Friday”, and enjoy bottles of beer after working hours.
And when they end a exhausting day there will be no one to give them the comforting hug.

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento