Sabado, Setyembre 1, 2012

super typhoon...oh no! not again!


Nov 22, '07 9:18 PM

Another super typhoon dubbed as Mina is expected to have its landfall in Bicol today. And I can only imagine how much fear is gripping again the Albayanos. Even if I am miles away, I am also incredibly worried. I wasnt already there when the wrath of Milenyo a year ago devastated my hometown. Yet, I wasnt spared by the feeling of grief knowing that my kababayans suffered tremendously. They say that Albayanos are experts with typhoons being hit several times in a year and the most prone area to bad weather conditions.

Twenty years ago, I was just in grade3 then when the strongest Ive experienced so far, hit Bicol. Typhoon Sisang, November 25, 1987. It was kinda traumatic for me and it caused a major change in our lives. My parents were just slowly inching their way to fulfill their dreams for the family. They were in the process of building their dream house when it occurred. In fact, during that day, they had the main door installed and the house was almost finished. But when night came and Sisang strengthened, we were forced to leave the house as the structures were shaking. My younger siblings and I could barely walk in panic that we were just carried and transferred to our Lolas house. At midnight, all of us were very much awake. When all of a sudden mommy cried, I knew itour house was downed along with those of our neighbors. At the break of dawn, I could count with my fingers the houses that remain standing within our neighborhood.

back to zero was the phrase I would hear among the olds. And yes, young as I am, I already felt the impact it brought to my family. For months we lived in my uncles house until such time our parents managed to build again our own house. It was the typical bamboo house and it is where I grew up. It became too hard for my parents to construct a nicer one since the six of us was growing so fast and studying. As a child, I would often dream too about living in a big house where I could have my own room and those pesky mosquitoes wouldnt be around.

I was already in my teens when I accepted the fact that it was only what we can afford to live. And begin to be thankful that even if we dont live in a dream house, we are still blessed that we are together, we are all healthy and loved. When my sisters would bring the topic about that house destroyed, I would just tell them, Kung hindi siguro nagiba yong bahay na yon baka lumaki tayong maaarte. True enough because what we went through taught us to keep our feet on the ground and struggle with life.

Despite all the hardships we all went through, my parents never cease to dream that someday they can have that house wherein they could provide us with our own rooms. Even if my siblings and I got a family of our own, they often think of a house where we could all live together comfortably at some point. I never asked my big brother what his driving force to become an architect was. But maybe like me, when he was young he crave too for that dream house. And he made his dream larger by dreaming too of houses for his would be clients.

After we finished our studies, my parents started to pave the way again for their dream. Unfortunately, we still dont have the capacity to give them what they always wanted. But with their sweat and tears, its now slowly being realized.

I can only pray that oh no, dear God, please not again! Not a typhoon again would take away their cherised dream.

Rainbows, Laughter and Tears
May you find
Rainbows after every storm,
May you remember the laughter
Smiles in the tears
Rainbows after Storms
May God grant you
For every storm, a rainbow
for every tear, a smile
for every care, a promise
and His blessings all the while

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento