Biyernes, Agosto 31, 2012

National Seafarers Day


National Seafarers’ Day is celebrated every year on the last Sunday of September. This year’s theme was “Filipino Seafarer’s: Our Pride”. This event was coined by Apostleship of the Sea to honor seafarers around the globe.
Here's their site.

The Prayers of the Faithful in today's Sunday Mass
May all seafarers and their families remain strong and faithful in times of temptation, loneliness, and personal anxieties. May prayer and Christian love be the unbreakable bond that unites them in spirit and affection. We pray.

May the Lord bless and prosper the ministry of priests, religious, and lay people of the Apostleship of the Sea who dedicate heir services to seafarers in ports throughout the world. We pray

May our departed ones, especially seafarers who lost their lives through accidents and sickness, receive the prize of a good life in the company of Abraham, the angels, and the saints in heavens. We pray.

Those prayers became so timely because a day ago I just got news from my husband that one of his companions was brought to the hospital and was found to have a blood clot in his head. Of course I was concerned too because he is our friend. Thank God, he’s a bit fine now and fast responding to medications.

I am aware of how each one of my seamen friends dreamt of a better life. I was there when they were struggling to get on board. During those times I can’t do anything but listen to their stories and from time to time give encouragements when they feel giving up. After all, it was really no joke having to wait for more than a year to finally land that dream job. I’ve seen their real hard work, staying at our office until late at night and having to go their everyday without any monetary compensation. And, it got so sad when at some point other people would bitch them around. They would have them do jobs as if they are being paid. Unfortunately, we are all not in the position to speak up and stood for their rights when their possible employment was at their mercy.

I just find it annoying that these people who are dubbed as the “pride” of our nation have to undergo unjust treatments. That they have to be at the pity of those agencies for them to be considered. And for some to even have to shed first a big amount of money when the law prohibits it. But when you have no choice, “kapit na lang sa patalim”. I have always been optimistic myself pero noon kahit ako nawawalan na rin ng pag-asa para sa kanila. It so difficult to hold on to hopes when you know you don’t stand on a fair ground. And you will find yourself hurt even more because a chance that slip your way will not only torment you but your family too who are eager to see you work.
  
Siguro ngayon binabalik-tanawan na lang nila ang lahat ng ‘yon ng nakatawa. After all they are now enjoying the fruits of their labor. But I wouldn’t have peace of mind in knowing that there are still many, many struggling seamen out there who are hanging in a thread. I am really happy for my friends na dati masaya na nanglilibre ako ng coke tuwing ako’y susuweldo but are now earning ten folds of what I can only have. I am likewise happy for their families whom with them did lots of sacrifices. Siguro kung makita ko man sila na gumagastos na sabi nga parang milyonaryo, I wouldn’t give a word because they deserve to have it too once in a while. It was just a blessing too that because of what they have gone through I know they will not lose their path. I hear many stories about seamen and how they led miserable lives but I always know that my friends will never have to be in that. Their experiences already taught them the right attitude towards work, and inspirations on how to live life.

I may not have seen some of them for a long time now, but I always take time too to be aware of what is happening in their lives. And I am just so glad that what I just used to dream with them once are now slowly being realized.

And yes, I am proud of them. For even if not the whole country will honor their being “pride”, for me and for their family, they always will.

Along with them my admiration goes to their wives...to Jam, Laine, May, and my circle of friends who are on the same boat with mine; it should have been our day too. For they said that behind every one “Bagong Bayani”, there is a hard working and self-sacrificing Mother and Wife”.

Hats off to G!... who is both that hard working and self-sacrificing mom and wife and a sea woman herself…Just get going bru, you can make it

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento